November 12, 2006
Suzuki’s doing something right, their Burgman continues to rack up glowing news stories nationwide. Interestingly, the bike also seems to be expanding beyond touring scooters’ usual market (the elderly, and wives of touring motorcyclists) in almost every direction. Here are a few news reports we’ve seen lately:
- Gizmag’s story is a rather technical, but interesting, overview of the Burgman 650′s unique transmission. The Scooter Scoop summarized the Gizmag story nicely, with some added perspective.
- SFgate’s review starts out with the second half of a joke usually directed at mopeds (the first half is “Scooters are like fat chicksâ€¦”). It thankfully goes uphill from there.
- The Hagarstown Herald-Mail uncovers the source of the name “Burgman,” apparently it’s some sort of Engrish translation of “Burgermeister”
- “From the looks I got, you’d think I was riding a unicornâ€¦” starts Susan Carpenter’s review in the LA Times. Carpenter toured the California coast in the name of journalism, must be rough being a professional motorcycle journalist.
- MotorcycleUSA also tested the bike on the California coast, in San Francisco. Their story also studies the “Burgman demographic” in depth.