TGB to USA

April 6, 2009

I’m not sure how long this notice has appeared on TGB’s Taiwan website, but it’s been up for the last few days at least:

[Cobra] Powersports is no longer the exclusive distributor for TGB products in the US. We will be manufacturing some of their scooters brand[ed] as Peirspeed. Please look for TGB to bring in new products under the TGB brand to the US in late March!

Over the past week or so, I’ve heard from several parties related to both TGB and Cobra, including George Lin, the President of TGB. I feel that especially considering what I’ve learned since my apology, it’s absolutely fair to say that my original interpretation of the facts was correct. What Cobra’s rep at the show told me was technically true, and Cobra maybe didn’t see it coming, but as of last week, TGB gave Cobra notice that they’ll be breaking their contract, and will be importing TGB bikes themselves. I’ve offered Cobra and TGB a chance to fully clarify the situation, more to come.

Comments

7 Responses to “TGB to USA”

1. gpPeejNo Gravatar on April 6th, 2009 12:33pm

The April Dealernews says…

“TGB plans to sign up three distributors and give each of them exclusive territorial rights to a specific part of the country.”

I don’t know if that’s a good idea, (remember Derbi east/west) but if I was a manufacturer and somebody put HIS NAME on my product, a quick change would be in order.

Hopefully the riders of TGB/Pierspeed products won’t bear the legal costs and suffer reduced support.

2. mattyNo Gravatar on April 6th, 2009 1:04pm

sounds like someone owes you an apology…

3. orange guyNo Gravatar on April 6th, 2009 4:04pm

So a company that will break a contract is going to offer exclusive territorial rights? Not sure I’m inclined to believe them.

4. pocphilNo Gravatar on April 6th, 2009 5:08pm

Beeb was right, but apologized anyway. Nuff said.

5. theageofindustryNo Gravatar on April 6th, 2009 9:15pm

Oh yeah suckas! Looks like the boys a Pierspeed will be eating some crow.

6. thisishowwerollNo Gravatar on April 7th, 2009 11:31pm

Well anyone who has been in business has seen a few of these kinds of things happen. No need to gloat or twist pierspeed with this. They may well have been saying what they thought was true, and from their standpoint it was.

Regarding TGB, in a public forum that is kind of dirty cricket to tell the market ahead of the partner, but timing mistakes and miscommunications happen. Certainly two stroke buzz was gracious. Now the interesting question is who are those distribution partners, what products do they get, and can they do better than Pierspeed would have done for them by pursuing this in the new fashion. Time will tell.

7. hardd1No Gravatar on August 25th, 2009 4:47pm

well…………..was it just rumors or is TGB coming to the USA bringing all of the cool scooters that are not imported here???…..Utilizing a TGB importer that will concentrate solely on the proven products TGB has to offer instead of the chineese crapola…. really can’t blame TGB for being pissed having their scoots rebadged by the current importer….is there a new importer on the horizon??