A Different Sort of Scooter Club

March 21, 2011

This is probably where we’re all going to end up. Via Scooterism.

Comments

10 Responses to “A Different Sort of Scooter Club”

1. jprestonianNo Gravatar on March 21st, 2011 11:06am

Oh, HAIL no.

When I work at the shop, I get about one call a month for a scooter battery. They read off a number that definitely isn’t a scooter battery, and I ask, “Is this a personal mobility device… a powerchair?” Invariably, yes, that is what it is.

2. philNo Gravatar on March 21st, 2011 1:03pm

I got so pi$$ed once, registered for a ‘free scooter’ at some event. Then in a few weeks ‘The Scooter Store’ – type of business contacted me.

“Son are you the one who’s having trouble walking?”

I was hot! They were trying to sell me a powered wheel chair.

EVERYONE knows a scooter is a vehicle like a Cushman or a Vespa. I guess some don’t.

They seem to lump a whole slew of stuff into scooter’s category – even something that you sit on and roll around in your garden.

thanks

3. illnoiseNo Gravatar on March 21st, 2011 2:16pm

would be kind of rad to show up at a rally on one of those with road lights and stadium mirrors and a raccoon tail on an arial, lambswool seat cover, moon wheels, maybe “ED” in those gold reflective stickers…

4. Blue MarkNo Gravatar on March 21st, 2011 7:41pm

I’ve done my time with “mobility scooters” and powered wheelchairs. Once I could walk again I vowed to never return. I can see getting a Yike Bike or even a Segway before ever considering riding around in a bladeless lawn mower.

5. Eric AlmendralNo Gravatar on March 22nd, 2011 1:35am

The shenanigans at their rallies… insane! Though I hear the scene is falling apart due to drama. The usual.

6. Timj1231No Gravatar on March 22nd, 2011 4:49am

Well if that is where we’re headed somebody needs to start working on upgrades. Those tires suck and I don’t think one of them has been kitted. Maybe battery tech will be the upgrade in the future. haaa

7. jprestonianNo Gravatar on March 22nd, 2011 5:43am

The local shop also gets enough calls for tires and batteries for the electric stand-up “razor” style scooters that I recommended to the owner that he consider stocking some of that crap, though.

8. pattio2sbNo Gravatar on March 22nd, 2011 7:33am

At least one scooter shop owner has decided to stop buying yellow pages advertising in their area, and concentrate their advertising money in other ways. Part of the reason for that decision was the mobility scooter calls.

9. FireJNo Gravatar on April 3rd, 2011 4:59pm

looks like a bunch of Buddy riders!!!

10. FireJNo Gravatar on April 4th, 2011 12:00am

they would be fun at SH 17…