As anyone who has lost a scooter can tell you, it’s not easy on your mental health. Luckily, I had comprehensive insurance (if you don’t have comprehensive coverage, get it, right now), and at least it was a replaceable modern bike that was stolen and not one of my treasured and irreplaceable vintage scooters. So, after 30 days pass (in case it turns up) I’ll be shopping for a new scooter. In the meantime, I’m following the five stages of grief, trying to decide what will fill the sad emptiness in my garage left by my beloved Genuine Blur 150.
- Denial: The answer is obvious, I want another Blur. Another orange 2006 Blur. They’re long-gone from dealers, but I can find one somewhere. I loved that bike at first sight, it was just right for me, it had amazing brakes and handling, I like Genuine Scooter Company, and nothing but another Blur can replace it, at least nothing within my budget.
- Anger: But that won’t be MY Blur. It’ll never be the same. And if I’m resigned to a used bike without a warranty, maybe I can find something better. Something even weirder and faster. Good morning Craigslist. What’s that? A 2-stroke Gilera Runner for 3 grand? With a title!? Dangit, that’ll sell WAY before I get my check. Let’s check eBay. A Peugeot Speedfight 100cc 2-stroke? With WRC graphics? for $1800? Damnit, mykrrr bought it.
- Bargaining: I know Phil hates the Vespa S. And it’s got plastic chrome and I know PiaggioUSA is hopeless. But man, that’s a great-looking bike, I’ve been coveting one since the moment I saw it. And maybe I could even find an orange one! Sure, it’ll be at least $1500 more than I’ll get from the insurance company, and that doesn’t even include racing stripes. but Vespas have good resale value, right?
- Depression: There’s no way I can spend an extra $1500. Especially since I need a new helmet, too. Everyone loves that Sym HD200. It’s ugly, but the price is right. I don’t deserve to be happy. I shouldn’t even buy another scooter, I have two other ones I neglect as it is. I should just spend the money paying off our equity loan or something.
- Acceptance: I’m not there yet. We’ll see.
10 thoughts on “5 stages of grief: Blur edition”
Why feel like you’ve fallen in love with something you shouldn’t have fallen in love with? If you loved the Blur that much, get another. There’s no shame in that. I’ll keep looking for that unique scoot for you.
I’ve ridden a SYM HD200 and found it to be an all-around very nice, un-ugly, and easy (cheap) to maintain scooter. I encourage you to transfer the love you’ve had once for the Blur to the SYM. Heck, they’re both Made in Taiwan. Anyway, since you’ve definitely got a thing going with Taiwanese scooters… Stop, what am I saying here! We ain’t supposed to develop “feelings” for material things. Do we really think our scooters ever love us in return?
Check your PMs on Modern Buddy.
For what it’s worth, my Blur is for sale. I’m too tall for it. I’d much prefer it went to a good home.
You know where to find me ;-)
that is such a bummer , I almost had my ride jacked in front of a walmart with a million cameras. as i walked out and the jackass was pushing it ,and could not understand why it would only go in a circle, this is the time i had to pull my gun on the I know WTF , well the guy had a crow bar in one hand and a knife on his side , and when the cops came after I had him on the ground with walmart security they found 3 more knifes and what looked like an airsoft gun painted all black and silver ,
two days later I got a call from the PD seems just a hour before he robbed some people at an ATM with the fake gun , and in florida thats 10 years even if its a fake gun
take away our guns take away our freedom
J, thanks for the empathy. As far as the rest of it, you’re entitled to your opinion (and you’re entitled to carry a handgun around, which is why I’ll never set foot in Florida), but I just want to make it very clear that 2strokebuzz does not endorse any sort of DIY death penalty for moped theft.
Soooorry Bb. I’m pretty stoked that I’m getting that Speedfight.
Thx to BGK for being my eBay sniper. I owe him some drinks next time I see him.
I can’t wait till mykrr sells me the speedfight for half the price in 2 months!
So, I should start making room in my Garage now….?
I’ve been seeing a few mad-asses around chicago, they are cool looking… too bad the quality is ????
I like those top tank mopeds too.
Comments are closed.