Ah, the Jewel bags are stuck in trees, the melting snow is revealing fossilized dog poo, illnoise shaved his beard, it must be springtime in Chicago! And so even though the thermometer is showing a balmy 39Â° and we still have our annual May blizzard to look forward to, Chicago is gearing up for scooter season with several rides:
- Saturday April 8 Chicago Area Scooterist Motorcycle Ride (for scooterists w/motorcycles or 60mph+ scooters), 3-hour ride through Southwest Chicago, meet at Pontiac Grill, 1531 N Damen Ave., at noon.
- Sunday April 9 South Side ride to Top Notch Beef Burger at 2116 w 95th Street. Departs at 11:30 from Ranch de Nitro
- Saturday April 22 Scooterworks ride and open house, details to come.
- Sunday April 23 Walneck’s Motorcycle Swap Meet, Woodstock Illinois
- Saturday May 13 Stock Car Racing at Sycamore Speedway, Sycamore, IL. Racing starts at 8, ride leaves Chicago from Atomix at 6:30 PM
The Amerivespa 2006 site has been updated with a more-or-less final itinerary. Amerivespa is the official national Vespa Club of America rally, and will take place July 27-30 in Denver, CO. Online registration opens on Saturday. Registering online gets you more swag for your money, joining VCOA saves you $10, as well as four issues of American Scooterist and other good stuff.
The Chicago Fire has announced plans for a new $70 million (seven crore for our indian readers) soccer stadium in Bridgeview, IL. Good news for 2SB, that’s about as close to Galewood as we could have hoped for, and it’s near the VFW fish fry, the Krispy Kreme, and the Trader Joe’s that we frequent. The team hopes to play there starting in 2006. Westside!
2sb’s favorite MLS player, defender Carlos Bocanegra, is leaving the Chicago Fire for a three-year deal with Fulham FC in the English Premier League. He’ll be greatly missed by the Fire, but it’s an awesome opportunity and we know he’ll be the greatest Cottager since George Michael.
Don’t forget that the Chicagoland Toys for Tots Motorcycle Parade is Sunday, December 7th. Groups leave in waves from 83rd and Western starting at 9:30 am, and the ride ends at the Marine Center at Foster and Troy. Scooterists usually meet somewhere before riding to the start, we’ll post a meeting place soon.